Friday, May 29, 2009

You Win Some You Lose Some

I try pretty hard to get the best deal whenever I can. Sometimes this is not easy. However, I find that the time I put into it is often well worth it in savings.

One of my favorite deals is to use a prescription transfer coupon like this:


You can find these in the ads usually in the Sunday papers. Rite Aid often puts them out or has them at the store. The deal is, "Transfer your RX to our store and we will give you a $25 gift card." It gets tricky at times using these. You have to keep track of where your RX is and where you last transfered it. Also, the coupons are often not good on new RX, though I found a couple stores that will honor a coupon anyway, despite the wording. Back in the good ole days I use to transfer RX's between Shopko (who would accept a competitors coupon and add $2) and Albertsons (who also would accept competitors coupons plus add $5). Those days are gone as Shopko started limiting coupon usage to every 6 months and Albertsons did away with accepting competitors coupons all together. Well, despite the "inconvenience" of keeping track of transfers, policies, and available coupons I still found it worth it to play the game. After all, my RX were only $4 and I was receiving a $25 giftcard.

Today, I was not successful though. I transfered my prenatal RX from Rite Aid to ShopKo with my RX transfer coupon in hand. My total came to $10. I said, "You guys are more expensive than Walmart and RiteAid. This RX is only $4 there." The cashier re-rang my ticket and I paid and handed her my RX transfer coupon. She then informed me that they couldn't price match and take a competitors coupon as well. I totally lost today, and I'm having a hard time getting over it. Had I paid $10 for my RX I would have come up $15 ahead with the gift card. As it turned out I paid $4 and got nothing.

I'm still going to continue playing the transfer game, but I will probably be avoiding ShopKo.

0 comments: