Monday, April 4, 2011

Wheat Bread

Here is the wheat bread recipe to accompany the picture from 3 weeks ago:

Whole Wheat Bread (thanks cousin Jen!)
5 cups hot water
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup honey
10-11 cups wheat flour
1 T bread enhancer/gluten
1 T salt
2 T yeast

In mixer, mix hot water, oil and honey. Add 2 cups wheat flour and mix until it looks soapy. Add bread enhancer, salt and 2-3 more cups of wheat flour. Mix until it looks like pancake batter. Mix in yeast. At this point, keep adding wheat flour, 1 cup at a time until it cleans the bowl. Knead dough in machine for 5 minutes. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.

Divide dough into four equal parts. Beat out each part on an oiled surface into a rectangle shape until all the bubbles are out. Roll each into a loaf and put it in a greased bread pan. Let rise in pans for 15-25 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

My Notes:
First of all this is delicious! I recently acquired a Blendtec blender, so I have been using it to blend wheat into flour. It is magical. Anyway, I'm so happy to have used up my first bag of wheat from my food storage.

I mix the dough in my kitchen aid, and it works just fine, but since it's the smaller sized one I cut the recipe in half. I also use both bread enhancer and vital wheat gluten. I wasn't sure on the recipe what was intended so I just put a Tablespoon of each in. Also, I find that it takes a lot longer than 15-25 minutes for my loaves to rise. I also cover the loaves with a damp towel while they are raising.

1 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I want a blendtek!